Kim Welch has nearly 30 years of experience fighting for her clients. If you’re in Colorado Springs, Las Vegas or the surrounding areas and you’ve been injured by a DUI driver, it’s critical you contact Kim Welch Law immediately. As an experienced personal injury lawyer, Kim Welch is prepared to fight for you and your case. Our team understands how scary it is to be hit by someone driving under the influence. To help guide you during this overwhelming time, we’ve created a list of everything you need to know about fighting a personal injury claim for this situation.
What Classifies As A DUI?
If an officer charges you with a DUI, it means he/she believes you were “driving while under the influence.” In Colorado and Nevada, you’re considered under the influence if you have a blood alcohol content, or BAC, of 0.08 or higher. Did you know you don’t actually have to be drinking to be charged with a DUI? You can be charged with a DUI if you’re driving while under the influence of any substance that impairs your abilities. This includes illegal drugs, marijuana, pain killers, antidepressants and over-the-counter medications such as Benadryl and Melatonin.
What Do I Do If I’m Hit By A DUI Driver?
If you’ve been hit by a driver who’s under the influence, you have every right to file a personal injury claim against the liable party. You deserve to receive compensation for the emotional and physical trauma endured as a result of such an accident. If you’re hit and injured by a driver who was under the influence, it’s important to do the following:
- Take photographs of the scene
- If you’re able to safely do so, gather evidence by taking photographs of the crash and your injuries. Evidence is extremely helpful when fighting a personal injury claim, so it’s crucial to gather as much evidence as possible.
- Get an accident report
- Make sure to ask police officials at the scene for a copy of the accident report. If they’re unable to oblige, make sure you at least receive the incident report number.
- Treat your injuries
- Your health and well-being is your top priority. Make sure to go to the hospital or see your doctor to have all your injuries treated. Ask for a copy of all medical reports as well, as these will be extremely helpful in fighting your case.
- Hire a personal injury attorney
- Consulting a personal injury attorney is crucial when you’re injured by a DUI driver. Your attorney will be able to conduct interviews and collect evidence, communicate with the driver’s insurance company, and investigate if the driver was under the influence.
Hire An Experienced Personal Injury Lawyer
One of the most important things to do after being hit by a DUI driver is to contact Kim Welch Law. The team at Kim Welch will support you during this difficult time, as well as fight for you to receive compensation for your injuries. As a personal injury lawyer, Kim Welch understands the complexities of these types of cases, and knows what type of evidence is useful when fighting for compensation. If you’re in Colorado or Nevada and you’ve been hit by a driver under the influence, contact our office today!