Schedule Your Free Consultation

 What to do if you have been in a car accident as a result of someone driving under the influence in Colorado Springs or Las Vegas?

Drunk Driving accidents are serious business. Don’t settle. Hire Kim Welch Law if you’ve been hit by a DUI – DWI driver in Colorado Springs or Las Vegas.

Being involved in a car accident is scary enough. But it is so much worse when the other party is driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol. This is a criminal act and for good reason.

Across the United States, there is an average of 29 deaths every single day because of drunk drivers. Not only that, but they also cause more than $44 billion of property damage. These negligent drivers need to be held accountable, and, if you have been injured or had your property damaged because of a drunk driver in Colorado Springs or Las Vegas, then you deserve to be compensated.

Drunk driving is a criminal offense. Call 911.

If you have been involved in an accident with a drunk driver, much of what you need to do is the same as a non-DUI car crash (we discuss that here). The first thing that you need to do immediately after a DUI car accident is to perform a body check. Check to see if everyone in the car is okay. Your safety and wellbeing are your number one priority right now.

You then need to  call 911 from a safe location, which may or may not mean moving your vehicle. Calling 911 is more important in a DUI or DWI accident than a standard accident. You’re not only getting the police involved to file a report but to ensure that the drunk driver is dealt with by the authorities.

It is important to get a copy of the police report for your claim. If the police arrest the other driver for a DUI/DWI, then you need this information for your claim. You will then need to get evidence of the scene. Take pictures of the environment around you, the road, and damage to your vehicle, if it is safe to do so.

Speak to your attorney before you speak with any insurance company.

It is harder for an insurance company to defend their client if they are at fault while drunk. Because of this, insurers may try to quickly settle the claim with you. They might offer a low-ball figure to you that sounds appealing today … but in reality, it could be a fraction of what your claim is worth if you work with an attorney who will fight for your best interest.

It is very important to speak with your personal injury attorney before you speak to any insurance company – including your own. If you do not have your own attorney yet, then the best thing to do right now is pick up the phone and call (888) 590-5510, or head to and get in touch with Kim Welch and her team. We offer a free no obligation consultation to help you make the best, and most informed, decision around your claim. We are available and ready for your call today should you need that initial advice.

You need an experienced personal injury attorney to fight for you like a bulldog in these instances. Kim Welch has years of experience in litigating on behalf of insurance companies, so she knows what makes them sweat. Her experience litigating both for and against insurance companies has given her a unique perspective that could make all the difference in your claim.

Will I get a bigger settlement because of the DUI?

There is a chance that your settlement could increase because the other party was driving under the influence. Insurers know that if your claim went to trial, that juries typically look down on drunk drivers, so trials will typically go against the at-fault party. This puts pressure on insurers to settle DUI/DWI claims outside of court for more money. And this is something that a personal injury attorney can leverage to increase your settlement. This is not guaranteed, but it could be an influencing factor in your claim.

It is also important to remember that your claim is limited to the amount of coverage that the at-fault party has in their policy. For instance, if there is only $50,000 of coverage, then no matter how much pressure your attorney puts on the insurer, they cannot offer a settlement of more than $50,000.

What to do next if you have been in a car accident with a drunk driver?

The first thing to do once you have left the scene of the accident is to speak to your doctor. Your initial body check should make sure that you don’t have any broken bones or serious injuries. But you are still at risk of head injury, whiplash, internal bleeding, spinal injuries, and more. Getting checked over by your doctor is your top priority.

Once you’ve done this, speak to an attorney. As mentioned above, many personal injury attorneys offer free initial consultations. There is no risk in talking to someone who could be a significant help to your case. This is why we highly recommend that this is one of the first things that you do after your accident.

This is even more important if you, or a member of your family, have been injured in the accident. Your focus should be on getting better, instead of chasing compensation. Have an attorney take care of getting you compensated and hassling with the insurance company.

Car accidents are unexpected and scary experiences that can be a real shock to the system, and something that you shouldn’t ever have to endure. It is something that you shouldn’t have to deal with, and there are options to make this easier for you. Speak with Kim Welch Law today for your free consultation. Let us work tirelessly on your behalf to help you get the best result possible for your claim.

We pride ourselves on our client-first attitude, and we are available for your call at a time that is most convenient for you. You are our priority. You can get in touch with us today by calling (888) 590-5510 or through our contact page. We look forward to your call.