Schedule Your Free Consultation

 What Happens If You Get Hurt in an Out of State Car Accident?


Hurt In A Car Accident? Here’s What You Should Do Next

Road trips are one of the best ways to see the country, and lately, more and more Americans are opting to travel by road instead of by sky. While short-distance travel and air travel have gone down, long-distance road trips have skyrocketed. Last year, in Colorado Springs, 132.2% more people took road trips than the year prior.

Unfortunately, with more cars traveling out of state, more people are getting into car accidents outside their home states. If you have been in a car accident out of state and suffered an injury, you may be wondering what your next steps should be.

How Do Insurance Claims Work When You Get in an Accident Out of State?

When you are involved in a collision in another state, you must file your claim with the state where the accident took place and comply with their state laws. Thankfully, insurance companies know that drivers will frequently cross state lines, so car insurance regulations are largely similar across most states. However, minimum insurance liabilities often vary from state to state.

States will also be labeled as “fault” or “no-fault” states. In fault states, such as Colorado, drivers file a claim with the insurance company of the driver who was deemed to be at fault for an accident. The at-fault driver will be required to pay for the damages suffered by victims up to their policy limits. In these states, depending on the situation, you could be found to be partially (or entirely) at fault for the crash, which could decrease or deny your compensation. In no-fault states, however, each driver files a claim with their own insurance carrier.

What Should You Do After Being in an Out of State Car Accident?

No matter what state you are in, the actions you should take after a car accident should look something like this:

  • Seek medical treatment for your injuries.
  • File a police report and obtain a copy of the report.
  • Photograph damages, including your injuries, your vehicle, and the surrounding area.
  • Collect the contact information of any other drivers involved or witnesses of the accident.
  • Report the crash with your insurance company, but do not discuss fault.
  • Contact an attorney. Every state has different statutes of limitations that govern
  • a victim’s right to file suit for a personal injury recovery claim, so you will
  • need to speak with an experienced car accident attorney as soon as you are physically able to do so.
  • Keep all records, including medical bills, in a safe place.

It can be tempting to attempt to represent yourself during a car accident injury claim, but going into an injury case without attentive legal representation on your side will leave you at a disadvantage.

Get Honest, Expert Legal Advice from a Colorado Springs Personal Injury Attorney

At Kim Welch Law, we specialize in leading negotiations with insurance companies. We will do everything we can to help maximize your settlement and get you back to your pre-injury life. Attorney Kim Welch has over 29 years of legal experience, and as a former insurance defense attorney, she now thrives on fighting for the rights of car accident victims in Colorado.

If you or someone you care about was injured in a car accident outside of their home state, set up a free consultation with us to learn more about your options moving forward. Give us a call at

(888) 590-5510 or send us a completed contact form. Virtual consultations are available.