Colorado Springs Slip and Fall Lawyer
Consistently one of the most common causes of preventable injuries in the United States, almost everyone has experienced a slip and fall at some point in their lives. Skinned knees and elbows from falls are commonplace when growing up, but many people may not realize just how dangerous these accidents can be later in life.
Slip and fall accidents can be severe, especially for older adults. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), slip, trip, and falls result in a severe injury (such as a broken bone or head injury) in one out of every five occurrences and is the leading cause of injury-related deaths among adults over the age of 64. If you or someone you care about has suffered an injury in a slip, trip, or fall accident in the Colorado Springs area, personal injury attorney Kim Welch may be able to help you recover compensation for your damages.
Types of Compensation Available to Slip and Fall Accident Victims in Colorado Springs
Injuries resulting from slips, trips, and falls can lead to severe injuries that affect victims for the rest of their lives. In fact, slip and fall accidents are the most common cause of traumatic brain injuries (TBIs) in the United States and lead to nearly half of all hospitalizations for TBI.
If a slip and fall accident resulted from another party’s negligence, the victim could be eligible for compensation under Colorado law. Victims of slips, trips and falls could recover reparations for the following damages:
- Pain and suffering
- Loss of wages and benefits
- Reduced earning capacity
- Past medical bills
- Future medical expenses
- Loss of personal enjoyment
- Funeral costs
- Physical therapy
- In-home rehabilitation
- Household out-of-pocket expenses
In rare cases where the defendant acted outrageously, the victim may also be awarded punitive damages. Punitive damages are meant to punish the negligent party and act as a deterrent to prevent others from engaging in similar conduct.
What Should You Do After a Slip and Fall in Colorado Springs?
After experiencing a slip and fall accident, there are a few steps you will need to take to ensure the protection of your rights and interests.
- Report the accident. Slip and falls can happen anywhere, but whether you are at work or shopping for groceries, you must file an accident report with management as soon as possible.
- Document the scene. Before you leave the area, take photos of where you fell and any safety hazards that led to your fall. Jot down as many details of the incident that you can remember.
- Seek medical treatment. Do not wait to see a doctor for your injuries – not only for your health and wellbeing, but also to protect your legal rights. If you wait too long to seek medical attention, you could be sending a message to the property owner that your injuries were not that serious.
- Contact an experienced personal injury attorney. Attorney Kim Welch has over 29 years of legal experience and will always put your interests first.
- Report the fall to the insurance company. Kim Welch will help identify the negligent party responsible for your slip and fall accident and will file a claim with their insurance provider for your damages.
- Negotiate a settlement. Personal injury attorney Kim Welch will lead all negotiations between you and the at-fault party’s insurance carrier and will not settle until a fair settlement that protects your legal rights has been met.
- Go to trial (if needed). Most slip and fall cases are able to be settled out of court. However, if a fair settlement is unable to be reached, Attorney Kim Welch will represent your interests throughout your trial.
Without an experienced personal injury lawyer to help guide you through the legal and insurance claim processes, you could miss out on funds that you are entitled to receive that may help you avoid debt after suffering a slip and fall injury. The sooner you contact an experienced personal injury lawyer to learn about your legal options, the better the results of your case may be.
Maximize Your Slip and Fall Claim with a Colorado Springs Personal Injury Attorney
Insurance companies may not be on your side, but we are. Partner with Kim Welch Law to protect your interests and maximize your settlement during your Colorado Springs slip and fall injury case. For a free case evaluation, call us at (888) 590-5510 or complete a contact form. We are open to virtual meetings and consultations with clients.
Let’s work together!